Wednesday 1 January 2014

A New Year, A New Process

It has been a while since I've posted on my devlog - too long. I haven't felt like there's been enough to update you all about, I suppose. Now, there is! It's the new year, and new things are happening.

First, I, inspired by my sister, The Singing Nerdess, have developed a routine. This is something I will follow to the best of my abilities every day in the new year. The goal is to get my doing stuff, as often as I can.

Routine, process, habit, practice - all words describing the ritual execution of specific tasks to the end of being productive and building skills and experience. This article does a very good job of describing why we should (as creative people) develop a routine (called Process here).


My new process is this:


  • Every day I will:
    • get up at 7;
    • do 30 minutes of yoga;
    • do 15 minutes of calligraphy (general practice or letter-writing);
    • work on Recess Race for 4 hours;
    • miscellaneous internet-related tasks (web site, twitter, blog, forums);
    • act or write for 30 minutes.
These figures are all guesses, and I may do more or less depending on how I feel or time restrictions or whatevs. They should resemble my weekly averages, on the other hand. 

I have completed the majority of the new design document for Recess Race. It's a bit of a bummer because I wanted to get it done for today (New Year's Day). But, it's the holidays gosh darn it and I enjoyed myself. That's important too! Anyway, the whole point of the article referenced above is that you don't need goals. Goals hold you back in a weird way. They are somewhat counter-productive, which is counter-intuitive, but I certainly feel it happening now. Don't worry about what you have and haven't done, just do stuff and it will be done eventually.

"It doesn't matter how slowly you go, so long as you never stop."
-Paraphrased

I believe I can keep up this routine, and I will be all the better for it. If you're a creative person and don't feel like you're getting enough shit done, I highly suggest this method. 

Thanks for reading. Until next time!

Stay consistent, rolling stone.

-mysteriosum(the deranged hermit)

No comments:

Post a Comment